I’ve stumbled into the concept of calm technology and I find it very on spot in the era of push notifications and constant distraction.
When we design products, we aim to choose the best position for user interface components, placing the most important ones in the most accessible places on the screen.
Equally important is the design of communication. How many notifications are necessary? How and when should they be displayed? To answer this, we can be inspired by the principles of calm technology
Here are some of the calm technology principles I really like:
- Technology can communicate but doesn’t need to speak
- Communicate information without taking the wearer out of their environment or task
- Give people what they need to solve their problem, and nothing more
- Technology should work even when it fails
- Technology should respect social norms